This position reports to: Manufacturing Manager
The Purpose: To manage the resources (machines, human resources and material) within the Press Shop to achieve production goals and objectives.
The work and responsibilities of a Press Shop Manager will cover a range of test activities, including inter alia the following duties:
- Manage all resources to meet the production demand for Large & Small presses departments and maintain accurate stock levels for the department.
- Ensure the internal control measures, policies and procedures are strictly followed to ensure quality components are manufactured at all times.
- Ensure that performance indicators such as machine utilisation and hourly output are optimised.
- Ensure downtime and machine changeovers are minimised.
- Drive lean manufacturing & continuous improvement efforts.
- Implement cost saving initiatives where applicable.
- Manage and control human resources in the large and small presses.
- Assist Manufacturing Manager with input into operational expenditure, capital expenditure and work within the budgeted costs.
- Operational expenditure is to be monitored continuously.
- Ensure the safety of plant and people.
- Administration and documentation control – accurate recording of manufactured components, compilation of reports, purchase requisition authorisation and monitor and control efficiency and utilisation reports.
- Ensure that the production plan supports the customers demand.
Qualifications & Experience:
The suitable candidate should have:
- Grade 12 (Matric)
- B-tech or BSc in Mechanical Engineering (Tool & die making experience advantageous)
- 10 years’ experience of which 5 years in a managerial position.
- Experience with multi-slide stamping and forming machines, progression tools and mechanical presses.
- ISO 9000 standards & procedures.
- KANBAN System.
- Occupational Health & Safety Requirements.
- Work-in-progress management.
- Electroplating experience advantageous.
- Wide range components.
- High pressure & volume production environment.